Sunday, June 19, 2011

It's Been A While


Merci's new summer haircut:)
Andrew had a reptile birthday party!
One of Sophia's skirts I made:)
We had a blast at the Marine Corps dinner:)

Oops, I did it again. It's not that I have forgotten about the lovely world of blogging, I have just been extremely busy. We had a ton of stuff going on with the end of school year parties, graduations, etc... and we have been doing a complete makeover on our bedroom. I can finally see the light at the end of the dang tunnel. Whew. It has been a hard project, but oh so worth it. Let me tell you about it. Pictures will come as soon as it is completely finished. I started with painting the entire room and bathroom. We have a huge master bedroom so this took a while. I did the ceilings, baseboards, doors, everything. It took me several weeks to pick a paint color and finally just closed my eyes and pointed to one. Not really, but kinda. I love the color. It is a soft tan, not dark at all and it makes the room look even bigger. I did a chocolate brown accent wall in the bathroom and it looks great against the bright white baseboards. Now for the most painful of the projects....But first I need to back up a tad. Juan bought brand new bedroom furniture a few weeks before I met him. When we got married we kept his since I didn't have an actual set. I didn't like his furniture but it was new and good quality. But the color was not my favorite and I just didn't like it. So I jumped online and researched. I had the perfect idea! I would strip the varnish and stain it. Easy, right? Ha! I.was.so.wrong. The original stuff I bought to strip the varnish was a waste of money. I poured the entire bottle on the top of the night stand and it did nothing to it. So my brilliant husband brings out the paint stripper we used on the banister(that's an even longer story!) It worked like a charm. He scraped, without effort, right down to the wood. I am excited at this point and get the stain out and start putting on the black stain I bought. It did not go on black, it just turned it the exact color we had just stripped off. I was so confused. I put more coats. Nothing worked. I let it sit in our garage for several weeks when I finally decided I would try something else. I had a can of black spray paint sitting in my paint collection, so I sprayed it down. And it looked good! I researched the best way to spray paint furniture, went to Lowe's and got the primer and spray paint. We sprayed our headboard, nightstand, and my dresser. I put Juan's dresser in the closet, I just didn't have it in me to go on any more with it! After several coats, we achieved the look we were going for. It is not in any way near perfect, but for about 100 bucks we have a brand new, (old) furniture set. Beats paying $5,000 for the one I wanted! We added some antique knobs and we are so happy with it. We also out in a new light and did some organizing in the closet. It is still a work in progress, but I am happy with how it is turning out.

I have also been doing a lot of sewing. Headbands and skirts are the main things I am working on, but I am determined to make Andrew his pajama shorts. I turn 26 tomorrow and I couldn't be happier. I am so blessed to have another year. My family is amazing. I have a beautiful home. I have a hard working, loyal husband. My kids rock. I have friends who I adore. Life is good.

I will post pictures from our room makeover as soon as it is all finished:)


2 comments:

  1. Is there a specific way you painted the doors? I have made over H's bedroom except for the doors, I am terrified that I will mess them up and will have to replace them all. eeek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just use bright white semi gloss paint. I think I used valspar. Just be careful to use a good brush and if you have doors like us, the grains go in different directions so be sure to paint in the direction they go. It took me three coats. It is a very boring paint job but I like the look.

    ReplyDelete